Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Is selling needles OTC for drug use OK?

Think seriously about it. I work in a pharmacy and had someone with no teeth and a dirty look ask to buy a ten pack of 100cc insulin syringes. I actually had one (its frikkin huge) and showed it to him to explain that I know it isn't what he's looking for. I already know what he's going to use the needles for, but I ask him anyway and he says, "Well, dope. I just don't want to share dirty needles with me and everyone else."

I won't say if I sold them or not because I'll get criticized by the public either way, but I would like to know what you all think about it.

Should I have sold the correct needles (100 unit) to him or should I have turned him away?
Answer:
There is no prescription required to purchase needles. Given that the individual will acquire the drugs without your help, you are not enabling him. Selling him the needles can only help to try to keep him disease free. From an ethical standpoint, you are not violating any laws, inducing anyone into illegal activity, and only providing a service that will help safeguard his health, and potentially others.

I would say sell the needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Is it possible © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net